Goda Masala (गोडा मसाला) also known as Kala Masala (काळा मसाला) is one of the most requested recipes that my friends were asking me for a while. This is a special masala recipe that my mother gave me and I cannot imagine making any Maharasthrian Bhaji/Aamti without using this masala. All my non-marathi friends also love the taste when I make food using this masala. Finally I prepared this masala myself using my moms recipe that I am sharing with you.
- 250gm Dhane (धने)
- 50gm Cumin Seads/Jeera(जीरे)
- 3-4 Black Cardamom (मसाला वेलची / बडी इलायची)
- 25gm Black Pepper (काळी मिरी)
- 25gm Cloves (लवंग)
- 25gm Cinnamon (दालचिनी)
- 2/3 florets Javitri (जायपत्री)
- 3-4 Bay Leaves (तमालपत्र / तेजपत्ता)
- 25gm Poppy Seeds (खसखस)
- 50gm Sesame Seeds (तीळ)
- 2 tsp Asafetida (हिंग)
- 25gm Red chilli powder (लाल तिखट)
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder (हळद / हलदी)
- Put 2 tsp cooking oil in a Kadhai and roast Dry Coriander(धने) on a low flame for 3 minutes with continuous stirring to avoid over burning. Keep the roasted coriander aside
- Add one more tsp of oil if needed in the Kadhai and roast Cumin Seads/Jeera(जीरे) on a low flame for 2 minutes with continuous stirring. Keep the roasted Jeera aside
- Add one more tsp of oil if needed in a Kadhai and roast the 5 ingredients- Black cardamom, Black Pepper, Cloves, Cinnamon, Javitri florets and Bay Leaves ( बडी इलायची, काळी मिरी, लवंग, दालचिनी, जायपत्री, तमालपत्र ) on a low flame for 2 minutes with continuous stirring to avoid over burning. Keep the roasted mixture aside
- Add Poppy Seeds (खसखस) and Sesame Seeds (तीळ) to the Kadhai and roast on low flame for 1 minute with continuous stirring. Keep the mixture aside.
- Turn OFF the flame and in the oil that is left in the Kadhai(don’t need more oil), add Asafetida (हिंग), Red chilli powder(लाल तिखट) and Turmeric powder (हळद / हलदी), stir quickly and constantly for less than a minute. Set the mixture aside
Be extra careful with Asafetida, chilli powder and Turmeric powder as you don’t need these ingredients to burn.
- Crush Cinnamon sticks to make small pieces before putting in a dry grinder. Add all the roasted mixture to a grinder to make a fine powder. Your Goda Masala is ready for use
Depending on your dry grinder, in case your masala becomes very coarse, then sieve it to get a fine powder. Add the masala to your favorite recipes and enjoy !!!
Use Goda masala in any Dry or Gravy vegetable or Daal