Goda Masala (गोडा मसाला) also known as Kala Masala (काळा मसाला) is one of the most requested recipes that my friends were asking me for a while. This is a special masala recipe that my mother gave me and I cannot imagine making any Maharasthrian Bhaji/Aamti without using this masala. All my non-marathi friends also love the taste when I make food using this masala. Finally I prepared this masala myself using my moms recipe that I am sharing with you.
- 250gm Dhane (धने)
- 50gm Cumin Seads/Jeera(जीरे)
- 3-4 Black Cardamom (मसाला वेलची / बडी इलायची)
- 25gm Black Pepper (काळी मिरी)
- 25gm Cloves (लवंग)
- 25gm Cinnamon (दालचिनी)
- 2/3 florets Javitri (जायपत्री)
- 3-4 Bay Leaves (तमालपत्र / तेजपत्ता)
- 25gm Poppy Seeds (खसखस)
- 50gm Sesame Seeds (तीळ)
- 2 tsp Asafetida (हिंग)
- 25gm Red chilli powder (लाल तिखट)
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder (हळद / हलदी)
- Put 2 tsp cooking oil in a Kadhai and roast Dry Coriander(धने) on a low flame for 3 minutes with continuous stirring to avoid over burning. Keep the roasted coriander aside
- Add one more tsp of oil if needed in the Kadhai and roast Cumin Seads/Jeera(जीरे) on a low flame for 2 minutes with continuous stirring. Keep the roasted Jeera aside
- Add one more tsp of oil if needed in a Kadhai and roast the 5 ingredients- Black cardamom, Black Pepper, Cloves, Cinnamon, Javitri florets and Bay Leaves ( बडी इलायची, काळी मिरी, लवंग, दालचिनी, जायपत्री, तमालपत्र ) on a low flame for 2 minutes with continuous stirring to avoid over burning. Keep the roasted mixture aside
- Add Poppy Seeds (खसखस) and Sesame Seeds (तीळ) to the Kadhai and roast on low flame for 1 minute with continuous stirring. Keep the mixture aside.
- Turn OFF the flame and in the oil that is left in the Kadhai(don’t need more oil), add Asafetida (हिंग), Red chilli powder(लाल तिखट) and Turmeric powder (हळद / हलदी), stir quickly and constantly for less than a minute. Set the mixture aside
- Crush Cinnamon sticks to make small pieces before putting in a dry grinder. Add all the roasted mixture to a grinder to make a fine powder. Your Goda Masala is ready for use
Be extra careful with Asafetida, chilli powder and Turmeric powder as you don’t need these ingredients to burn.
Depending on your dry grinder, in case your masala becomes very coarse, then sieve it to get a fine powder. Add the masala to your favorite recipes and enjoy !!!
Use Goda masala in any Dry or Gravy vegetable or Daal